Monday, November 30, 2015

Independent Reading Month #2

                                                       Independent Reading Month #2


                        My book, Pretties, by Scott Westerfeld, is about a girl named Tally who transfers from externally ugly to externally pretty by having surgery. With her new looks, she gets whatever she wants. Beneath all fun, Tally has a nagging sense that something is still wrong in her life. A message from her ugly past arrives, the fun stops and Tally remembers what the problem with a pretty life is. Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life-because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.
                        I choose to read this book mainly because a lot of people I know were reading it and I wanted to see if I liked it. I only recommend it if you like dystopian/science fiction themed books because you'll understand it and be unable to put it down. I personally didn't consider it my favorite book because I am not into science fiction themes and I really only read it because other people have read it.
                         The book is connected to American culture because a lot of Americans strive for perfection and that is what Tally strived for in the book and she became, "perfect." She then learns her, "perfect," life isn't so great. That is comparable to real life because even if you think you get whatever you want and that you're perfect, no one is really perfect. People should just stick to being themselves, because when they try to change who they are things go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment