Monday, November 30, 2015

Independent Reading Book Reflection


This month I read Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. This is the first book of the series, called The Infernal Devices. The book follows the life of Tessa Gray, a teenager who has the ability to shape shift, but does not know that she has this ability. Tessa starts out by trying to find her brother, Nate, who is in England. When she reaches England, after many weeks of travelling, she gets kidnapped by the Dark Sisters. The Dark Sisters are a part of an organization called the Pandemonium Club. Tessa is captured by the Dark Sisters because their boss, The Magister, wants to take Tessa’s shape shifting ability for himself. Tessa manages to escape the sisters, with the help of Will Herondale. The rest of the book follows Tessa’s life, and her attempts to save her brother, and learn about her shape shifting ability. Along the way, Tessa has to chose between Will and James, both of which are in love with her. I chose this book because I had previously read the series that is related to this series, The Mortal Instruments, and I loved that series, so I decided to read the prequel series. I actually like The Infernal Devices better than The Mortal Instrument, but both are very good. This book has many ups and downs and surprising twists and turns. I would definitely recommend this book, it is one of my favorite books. I was constantly on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what happened next.
One of the ways this book is connected to American culture is the need to have the most power, shown in the beginning of the book by The Magister. The Magister will do anything to get Tessa’s shape shifting ability, which would give him more power. Now, I won’t spoil the book for you, but let’s just say that it does not work in The Magister’s favor, which is what usually happens with the power hungry people in American culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment