Friday, March 4, 2016

Modern Art

Personally, I don't use colors in my sketches, but many of those I know that make drawings and pictures for school or projects do used nature type colors, especially in pictures of nature. To me, color is a waste of time, and the world would be better without it, but that is an argument for another time. Regarding my favorites, are the pictures of nature, of battle, of loss, and overall the pictures that touch the soul with their beauty and emotional response. When I see a painting of broken soldier fighting with everything they have on a muddy slope in the rain with all odds stacked against them, I am given hope, and I am inspired by the bravery depicted by the hero in the picture. Similarly made pictures can inspire different emotional responses, that entertain and motivate people. However some pictures that have become increasingly popular, are "modern art". They depict shapes and splatters of paint, requiring a seemingly limited amount of effort from the artist, and show a strange, cryptic message of abstract nature. It's (in my opinion) like giving a toddler a canvas and paint, and getting it to create something original. I know from experience that there is a "painting" of a black line on a very large canvas on display someplace, and the artist was paid for such a picture. He literally could have just taken a brush, and painted a line, and he got paid the same as someone who spent months or years working on a beautiful masterpiece depicting a lost adventurer in a forest. In American culture this is a large topic of debate; whether these paintings are truly art that belong in a museum, or if they are simple pictures that can be placed in less prestigious establishments or private exhibits. Concerning oil paintings and traditional art, America has not been around nearly as long other countries like France, England, Germany, and China. In such a case, many of our country's "traditional art" is just works from the ever famous artists from early Europe such as Picaso, Van Gogh, and da Vinci. Many artists use oil in painting, and there is even a separate branch of art called oil paintings. Finally, regarding the Vietnamese art, sadly I know nothing. Speaking for America I can say that there are privately owned establishments and specific exhibits containing art from Asia, but specifically form Vietnam, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment