Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Perks of Being a Wallflower, November Book

For my November independent reading book, I chose to read, “Perks of Being a Wallflower”, written by Stephen Chbosky. In this book, Charlie, a young freshman, coped with the death of his suicidal friend. Due to the difficult times he faced, he wrote about many different things that helped him to be an overall happier person. Throughout this process, he learns to grow out of his comfort zone by meeting two new interesting people, Patrick along with his step-sister Sam, they soon become best friends. Charlie always has a tiny crush on Sam, ever since the moment he first met her. However, due to these two new friends, Charlie experiences so much more in high school than he would have otherwise, if he were to spend it going home, being bored all day as he did during the summer. He ends up experimenting with alcohol and drugs, getting a girlfriend along with many other things throughout the book.

If you are interested in this book and want to know more, go ahead and read it, I recommend it! I think that it was very well written and grammatically correct (as expected). But this book goes very deep and allowed me to open my eyes and see what life is like in somebody else's perspective. I think the author did a very good job of showcasing Charlie’s emotions with everything that was happening to him in his first year of high school. If you like realistic fiction and emotional books, I would highly recommend that you read it.

I think this book connects to American culture emotionally. I think that there is a growing amount of teenagers who are facing depression. Not always that difficult, even just daily struggles are represented throughout this book, for example, Charlie was peer pressured into drinking alcohol at a party. Not that everybody has to deal with these problems, but a large number of teens do as our culture evolves. Overall, I think the author did a good job of representing common problems that American teenagers are facing lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment